Paris – Nice 2015: Results 5th stage
1. Davide Cimolai (ita)
2. Bryan Coquard (fra) s.t.
3. Michael Matthews (aus) s.t.
4. Nacer Bouhanni (fra) s.t.
5. José-Joaquín Rojas (spa) s.t.
6. Alexander Kristoff (nor) s.t.
7. Matti Breschel (den) s.t.
8. Daniel McClay (gbr) s.t.
9. Samuel Dumoulin (fra) s.t.
10. Sylvain Chavanel (fra) s.t.
GC after the 5th stage
1. Michal Kwiatkowski (pol)
2. Richie Porte (aus) + 0.01
3. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 0.03
4. Tejay van Garderen (usa) + 0.27
5. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 0.32
6. Tony Gallopin (fra) + 0.38
7. Rui Costa (por) + 0.41
8. Gorka Izaguirre (spa) + 0.44
9. Tiago Machado (por) + 0.50
10. Rafel Valls (spa) + 0.51
After several fruitless attacks Thomas De Gendt, Andrew Talansky and Roland Sicard are more successful. They escape with 5 kilometres done while climbing the Col de la Republique. De Gendt is the first to crest the 1st category top and he adds 10 points to his KOM total.
After chasing the trio for a while, Pawel Poljanski and Egos Silin join them in the descent of the Col de la Republique.
At the Col du Deves, Côte de l’Aleyrac and Côte de Buisson De Gendt puts more points into his KOM leadership. While he is at it the Belgian tries to win the stage and drops all of his escapees one after the other. He speeds to the uphill finish just to find out the race is a few hundred metres too long. He is gobbled up by the bunch and Davide Cimolai proves to be the strongest sprinter, besting Bryan Coquard by centimetres.
Paris – Nice 2015 stage 5: Images and more
Click on the images to zoom