Results 5th stage Tour of the Alps 2019
1. Fausto Masnada (ita)
2. Carlos Quintero (col) + 0.07
3. Simone Velasco (ita) + 1.31
4. Dario Cataldo (ita) s.t.
5. Roland Thalmann (swi) + 1.33
6. Alexis Vuillermoz (fra) + 2.14
7. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) s.t.
8. Mattia Cattaneo (ita) s.t.
9. Tao Geoghegan Hart (gbr) s.t.
10. Pavel Sivakov (rus) s.t.
GC after stage 5
1. Pavel Sivakov (rus)
2. Tao Geoghegan Hart (gbr) + 0.27
3. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 0.33
4. Mattia Cattaneo (ita) + 1.03
5. Fausto Masnada (ita) + 1.13
6. Rafal Majka (pol) + 1.46
7. Jan Hirt (cze) + 2.03
8. Dario Cataldo (ita) + 2.58
9. Roland Thalmann (swi) + 3.14
10. Aleksandr Vlasov (rus) + 4.27
A group of eighteen takes off in the early stages of the race, while Cataldo, Stalnov, Masnada, Cuadros, Thalmann, Quintero and Bizkarra leave their companions alone on the Collalbo climb. They carve out a gap of 7 minutes, which means Masnada is the virtual leader. The Italian started the stage 3.37 minutes behind leader Sivakov.
Masnada attacks with Quintero and the two push on together. It looks good for a while, but in the last uphill kilometres of the Tour of the Alps the gap comes down to 4 minutes, though. Sivakov withstands a series of attacks from Nibali to crest the summit safely with team-mate Geoghegan Hart close by.
On the flat run-in to the line a stage victory is the only thing that’s left for Masnada. He attacks just before the flamme rouge and solos to his second stage victory in the Tour of the Alps. Sivakov crosses the line as the winner of the Tour of the Alps. Geoghegan Hart and Nibali round out the podium.
Another interesting read: route 5th stage 2019 Tour of the Alps.
Tour of the Alps 2019 stage 5: route, elevation, more
Click on the images to zoom