Results 10th stage Giro d’Italia 2016
1. Giulio Ciccone (ita)
2. Ivan Rovny (rus) + 0.42
3. Darwin Atapuma (col) + 1.20
4. Nathan Brown (usa) + 1.53
5. Damiano Cunego (ita) + 2.04
6. Andrey Amador (crc) + 2.10
7. Giovanni Visconti (ita) + 2.11
8. Alejandro Valverde (spa) s.t.
9. Esteban Chaves (col) s.t.
10. Jakob Fuglsang (den) s.t.
11. Rafal Majka (pol) + 2.15
12. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) s.t.
13. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) s.t.
14. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) s.t.
15. Bob Jungels (lux) s.t.
16. Rigoberto Uran (col) s.t.
17. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) s.t.
GC after stage 10
1. Bob Jungels (lux)
2. Andrey Amador (crc) + 0.26
3. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 0.50
4. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) s.t.
5. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 0.52
6. Gianluca Brambilla (ita) + 1.11
7. Rafal Majka (pol) + 1.44
8. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 1.46
9. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 2.08
10. Esteban Chaves (col) + 2.26
11. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 2.27
12. Diego Ulissi (ita) + 2.53
13. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 2.55
14. Ryder Hesjedal (can) + 3.39
While climbing up the Passo della Collina Francesco Bongiorno and Giovanni Visconti give it a go. Visconti goes solo and he is the first to crest, half a minute ahead of Tim Wellens, who cements his KOM-lead. On the lower slopes Mikel Landa is in trouble. He gets dropped to abandon later in the race due to illness.
Nicola Boem and Przemyslaw Niemiec join Visconti, who once again takes most KOM-points at the Pietracolora.
After a long chase Bonnafond, Preidler, Cunego, Atapuma, Ciccone, Zoidl, Rovny, Pirazzi, Brown, Silin and Pirazzi hook up with the leaders. Their maximum gain grows to around 6 minutes.
Boem is dropped with 50 kms remaining and 10 kms later Preidler goes solo. At the Pian del Falco Atapuma, Cunego, Pirazzi en Ciccone join him. A little later the latter three leave the others two alone and Cunego is the first to crest, thus taking the KOM-lead. On the lower slopes Dumoulin and Brambilla are dropped.
At the top the GC favourites are 2’34” down on the leaders.
In the valley Ciccone is the sole leader with Rovny chasing. Amador has left the group Nibali, where Brambilla hooked up again. Is the Costa Rican heading for the pink jersey?
No. Brambilla is leading the chase in his pink jersey in favour of his team-mate Bob Jungels, second in the GC. This way Brambilla holds off Amador, so Etixx keeps the pink jersey in their ranks.
21-year old Giulio Ciccone powers to the win to taste the best victory in his career.
Giro 2016 Stage 10: Route maps, height profiles, etc.
Click on the images to zoom.