Results 11th stage Giro d’Italia
1. Diego Ulissi (ita)
2. Andrey Amador (crc) s.t.
3. Bob Jungels (lux) s.t.
4. Giacomo Nizzolo (ita) + 0.13
5. Sonny Colbrelli (ita) s.t.
6. Matteo Trentin (ita) s.t.
7. Sacha Modolo (ita) s.t.
8. Enrico Battaglin (ita) s.t.
9. Tim Wellens (bel) s.t.
10. Alejandro Valverde (spa) s.t.
12. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) s.t.
13. Rigoberto Uran (col) s.t.
14. Rafal Majka (pol) s.t.
15. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) s.t.
19. Esteban Chaves (col) s.t.
21. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) s.t.
32. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 1.30
39. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 1.49
GC after stage 11
1. Bob Jungels (lux)
2. Andrey Amador (crc) + 0.24
3. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 1.07
4. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) s.t.
5. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 1.09
6. Rafal Majka (pol) + 2.01
7. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 2.25
8. Esteban Chaves (col) + 2.43
9. Gianluca Brambilla (ita) + 2.45
10. Diego Ulissi (ita) + 2.47
11. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 3.12
12. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 3.39
13. Ryder Hesjedal (can) + 3.56
14. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 4.01
Once the flag is dropped Quinziato, Moser, Howard, Kluge, Berlato, Vorobyev, Boaro, Pozzato and Zhupa are heading for glory. They race to a maximum lead at almost 1 minute, but in 40 kms Lampre chases them down.
The pace is as high as 51.1 km/h in the first four of racing.
Nevertheless, Vorobyev is capable to escape once more, this time along with Stake Laengen and Bertazzo. And this time to more avail. In no time they are 11 minutes adrift. Meanwhile Tom Dumoulin abandons with sadde sore.
In the flat section near the Forcella Mostaccin a crash in the pack forces riders such as Pozzovivo and Démare to chase, while Laengen goes solo on the climb itself. Yet, under the top he is brought back when Steven Kruijswijk attacks from the pack. All GC-favourites join him and in the descent Nibali takes over. Valverde en Chaves are on his wheel.
With 13 kms left the favourites are bunched again and without respite Amador attacks. Jungels closes the gap. So the leader and the runner-up in the GC are off together.
On the climb into Asolo Ulissi joins the leaders and at the top they enjoy a 10 seconds lead. That proves to be enough.
Jungels takes the lead and he pushes hard in the last kilometres to hold off the chasers. Obviously, the best sprinter of the three, Diego Ulissi, takes full advantage of this and he powers to his second stage victory in the 2016 Giro d’Italia.
More to follow.
Giro 2016 Stage 11: Route maps, height profiles, etc.
Click on the images to zoom.