Results 4th stage Tour of the Alps 2021
1. Pello Bilbao (spa)
2. Aleksandr Vlasov (rus) s.t.
3. Simon Yates (gbr) s.t.
4. Nairo Quintana (col) + 0.58
5. Jefferson Cepeda (ecu) + 1.06
6. Hugh Carthy (gbr) s.t.
7. Ruben Guerreiro (por) + 1.16
8. Romain Bardet (fra) s.t.
9. Guianluca Brambilla (ita) s.t.
10. Matteo Fabbro (ita) + 1.22
GC after stage 4
1. Simon Yates (gbr)
2. Pello Bilbao (spa) + 0.58
3. Aleksandr Vlasov (rus) + 1.06
4. Jefferson Cepeda (ecu) + 2.18
5. Pavel Sivakov (rus) + 2.36
6. Hugh Carthy (gbr) + 2.37
7. Nairo Quintana (col) + 2.54
8. Ruben Guerreiro (Po) + 3.12
9. Romain Bardet (fra) + 3.12
10. Nick Schultz (aus) + 3.36
The breakaway takes shape on the Passo Castrin when Froome joins forces with Dina, Valter, Ghebreigzabhier, LL Sánchez, Großschartner, Pernsteiner, Prodhomme and Roche. The nine reach the summit almost 3 minutes ahead of the peloton before they are brought back on the run-in to the finish climb.
Sivakov can’t follow the pace when Carthy strikes 4 kilometres before the summit. The other favorites reel in the Briton before Vlasov jumps clear. Yates closes the gap and starts setting the pace. One rider after the other is dropped before Vlasov is the only one left.
Dan Martin reaches the summit 10 seconds after the two leaders before he misses a corner in the descent.
Bilbao flies down the mountain to rejoin Vlasov and Yates inside the last 2 kilometres. The Basque jumps clear, but Yates brings him back and Vlasov comes clawing back just before the home straight.
Bilbao sprints to victory and moves up to second place in the GC, almost 1 minute down on the dominant Yates.
Another interesting read: route 4th stage 2021 Tour of the Alps.
Tour of the Alps 2021 stage 4: route, profile, more
Click on the images to zoom