Results 5th stage Tour de Romandie
1. Michael Albasini (swi)
2. Andrey Amador (crc) s.t.
3. Wilco Kelderman (nld) s.t.
4. Niccolo Bonifazio (ita) s.t.
5. Moreno Hofland (nld) s.t.
6. Kristian Sbaragli (ita) s.t.
7. Daril Impey (rsa) s.t.
8. Tom Bohli (swi) s.t.
9. Carlos Verona (spa) s.t.
10. Jarlinson Pantano (col) s.t.
General Classification Tour de Romandie 2016
1. Nairo Quintana (col)
2. Thibaut Pinot (fra) + 0.19
3. Ion Izagirre (spa) + 0.23
4. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 0.26
5. Tom Dumoulin (nld) + 0.57
6. Rui Costa (por) + 1.12
7. Simon Spilak (slo) + 1.16
8. Mathias Frank (swi) z.t.
9. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 1.24
10. Tejay van Garderen (usa) + 1.27
Carlos Verona is one of the most active riders. Early on he escapes with Jan Bakelants, but while the Belgian rider doesn’t make it to the successful break, the Spaniard does. And what is group it is: Chris Froome, Michael Albasini, Romain Bardet, Andrey Amador, Wilco Kelderman, Sander Armée, Jerome Coppel, Moreno Moser and Tsgabu Grmay.
The ten race to a maximum lead at 3 minutes before the peloto takes control. When the gain is down to 1 minute Verona attacks and Albasini, Kelderman and Amador join him. By then, Armée has been dropped, but he can take console in the fact he did take the KOM-win en route.
In the front group Albasini is by far the strongest. The peloton comes close and the Swiss even neutralises an attack by Tom Bohali, who overtakes them at breakneck speeds in the last kilometre, only to power on and outsprint his breakaway companions. Amador comes in second, Kelderman third, while Nairo Quintana is the overall winner in the 2016 Tour de Romandie.
Tour de Romandie 2016 Stage 5: Route maps, height profiles, etc.
Click on the images to zoom.