Results 14th stage 2023 Giro
1. Nico Denz (ger)
2. Derek Gee (can) s.t.
3. Alberto Bettiol (ita) s.t.
4. Laurenz Rex (bel) + 0.01
5. Davide Ballerini (ita) s.t.
6. Toms Skujins (lat) + 0.04
7. Marius Mayrhofer (ger) + 0.10
8. Stefano Oldani (ita) + 0.20
9. Andrea Pasqualon (ita) + 0.50
10. Mirco Maestri (ita) s.t.
15. Bruno Armirail (fra) + 0.53
– GC riders + 21.11
GC after stage 14
1. Bruno Armirail (fra)
2. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 1.41
3. Primoz Roglic (slo) + 1.43
4. João Almeida (por) + 2.03
5. Andreas Leknessund (nor) + 2.23
6. Damiano Caruso (ita) + 3.09
7. Lennard Kämna (ger) + 3.33
8. Eddie Dunbar (irl) + 4.26
9. Thymen Arensman (nld) + 4.49
10. Laurens De Plus (bel) + 4.57
A huge group distances the peloton after 15 kilometes of action. Bettiol, Mollema, Gaviria, De Marchi and Davide Bais are the most prominent riders.
A group with Arensman and Kämna go after them. Which inspires Jumbo-Visma to chase and the two to sit up. The others keep on pushing to rejoin the breakaway riders on the Simplon Pass, while Mirco Maestri and Mattia Bais are the last riders to make it across after a long chase.
Entire lead group: Armirail, LL Sánchez, Prodhomme, De Marchi, Denz, Bettiol, Mollema, Pasqualon, Warbasse, Sütterlin, Serry, Mayrhofer, D. Bais, M. Bais, Maestri, Rex, Ballerini, Mulubrhan, Gaviria, Vergaerde, Oldani, Barguil, Verona, Gee, Skujins, Barta, Clarke, Guernalec, and Williams. Armirail is the best placed attacker on GC – 18.37 minutes down on the maglia rosa.
The peloton is trailing at 13 minutes when Bettiol attacks from the lead group with 63 kilometers to go. It comes together before Rex and Oldani give it a go. Ballerini rejoins the two before Skujins also makes it across.
Rex can’t follow the other three in a climb at shallow gradients inside the last 11 kilometres. He winds up in a chase group with Denz, Mayrhofer, Bettiol and Gee.
The last kilometre runs false flat uphill. Oldani strikes early, but he runs out of of steam and Denz closes down the gap with the others in his wheel. Bettiol opens the sprint and Denz keeps on pushing. He overhauls the Italian to take the win, although Gee finishes close behind.
The peloton finishes 21 minutes later and attacker Armirail moves into the overall race lead.
Another interesting read: route 14th stage 2023 Giro.
Giro d’Italia 2023 stage 14: route, profile, more
Click on the images to zoom