Results 7th stage Paris-Nice
1. Richie Porte (aus)
2. Alberto Contador (spa) + 0.21
3. Daniel Martin (irl) + 0.32
4. Sergio Henao (col) s.t.
5. Ion Izagirre (spa) + 0.55
6. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 1.07
7. Pierre Latour (fra) + 1.11
8. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 1.21
9. Gorka Izagirre (spa) s.t.
10. Marc Soler (spa) s.t.
13. Warren Barguil (fra) + 2.17
14. Julian Alaphilippe (fra) + 2.40
19. Tony Gallopin (fra) + 4.04
21. Simon Yates (gbr) + 4.20
GC after 7th stage
1. Sergio Henao (col)
2. Daniel Martin (irl) + 0.30
3. Alberto Contador (spa) + 0.31
4. Gorka Izagirre (spa) + 1.00
5. Julian Alaphilippe (fra) + 1.22
6. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 1.34
7. Ion Izagirre (spa) + 1.41
8. Tony Gallopin (fra) + 3.22
9. Warren Barguil (fra) + 4.07
10. Simon Yates (gbr) + 4.39
Axel Domont goes on the attack on the first climb of the day in order to cement his KOM-lead. He is accompanied by Polanc, Fraile, Calmejane and Fernandez riders. Calmejane is the first to crest and is now only two points down on Domont in the KOM-classification. Meanwhile, the lead has gone up to some 5 minutes.
On the second climb, Col de Vence, Pierre-Luc Périchon chases the leaders down, while Calmejane jumps clear before the top to take 10 KOM-points. In the descent the front group is back to six.
When the gap is down to less than 3 minutes Calmejane once again accelerates. He tackles the Col Saint-Martin 1 minute ahead of the first chasers, Domont and Fernandez, and is the first to crest. So the Frenchman takes the polka dot jersey.
On the lower slopes of the last climb Calmejane is accompanied by Gautier, Pacher and Ulissi, while the last rider pushes on alone. He is reeled in by a peloton of around 20 riders, where leader Julian Alaphilippe en Tony Gallopin have been dropped.
An accelaration with 6 kms left tears the front group in two and Ilnur Zakarin and Gorka Izagirre are dropped, while Richie Porte is off in the last 3 kms. Contador and Henao are chasing without getting closer. El Pistolero leaves the Colombian alone in the last kilometre to climb to second place. In the dying metres of the race Dan Martin pops up to finish in third, thus taking a time bonus of 4 seconds.
Both Martin and Contador are half a minute down on Henao’s leaders jersey with one mountain stage left. That should be the tonic to detonate the fireworks in tomorrow’s Nice-Nice challenge.
Read about the route of the 7th stage in Paris-Nice 2017.
Paris – Nice 2017 stage 7: Route maps, height profiles, and more
Click on the images to zoom.
Climb details Col de la Couillole
Climb details Col de Saint Martin
Start and finish at Google Maps