Results 8th stage 2017 Giro Rosa
1. Lucinda Brand (nld)
2. Tetyana Riabchenko (ukr) + 0.12
3. Megan Guarnier (usa) + 1.33
4. Annemiek van Vleuten (nld) s.t.
5. Elisa Longo Borghini (ita) s.t.
6. Anna van der Breggen (nld) s.t.
7. Katarzyna Niawiadoma (pol) s.t.
8. Amanda Spratt (usa) s.t.
9. Karol-Ann Canuel (can) s.t.
10. Claudia Lichtenberg (ger) +1.39
GC after the 8th stage
1. Anna van der Breggen (nld)
2. Elisa Longo Borghini (ita) + 1.03
3. Annemiek van Vleuten (nld) + 1.39
4. Megan Guarnier (usa) + 3.07
5. Lucinda Brand (nld) + 3.26
6. Amanda Spratt (aus) + 3.32
7. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (pol) + 4.02
8. Karol-Ann Canuel (can) + 4.22
9. Claudia Lichtenberg (ger) + 5.05
10. Arlenis Sierra (cub) + 5.15
Despite attacks of Romy Kasper, Arianna Fidanza and Annalisa Cucinotta it’s still gruppo compatto at km 61. But then the first climb looms and the peloton breaks. With 33 riders in the front group and 20 riders in the second group the Giro Rosa comes over the top.
In the technical descent Ane Santesteban heads out on her own. Janneke Ensing, Tetyana Riabchenko and
Anouska Koster bridge the gap before the Ukrainian rider goes solo. Ensing is chasing on her own for a while after the other two are dropped, but then Koster re-joins along with Lucinda Brand. They crest the last top 1’20” after Riabchenko.
In the descent Brand leaves Ensing and Koster alone to try and chase the leader down. She hits the deck when she has almost caught Riabchenko. But she is back on her bike in a split-second to gobble up the Ukrainian with 3 kms left. Almost without delay she goes alone.
Lucinda Brand’s victory is not endangered in the last kilometres and so she takes an impressive win. Her compatriot Van der Breggen comes in sixth to retain in the overall lead.
Read also: route of the 8th stage 2017 Giro Rosa
Giro Rosa 2017 stage 8: Route maps, height profiles, and more
Click on the images to zoom.