Results 6th stage Giro d’Italia
1. Tim Wellens (bel)
2. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 1.19
3. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) s.t.
4. Tom Dumoulin (nld) + 1.22
5. Kanstantsin Siutsou (blr) + 1.24
6. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 1.25
7. Esteban Chaves (col) + 1.29
8. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 1.33
9. Rafal Majka (pol) s.t.
10. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 1.36
11. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) s.t.
14. Mikel Landa (spa) + 1.43
17. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) s.t.
GC after 6th stage
1. Tom Dumoulin (nld)
2. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 0.26
3. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 0.28
4. Bob Jungels (lux) + 0.35
5. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 0.38
6. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 0.41
7. Diego Ulissi (ita) s.t.
8. Esteban Chaves (col) + 0.44
9. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 0.47
10. Kanstantsin Siutsou (blr) + 0.49
11. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 0.51
12. Rafal Majka (pol) + 0.56
15. Mikel Landa (spa) + 1.08
Once the flag is dropped Ovechkin, Niemiec, Berlato, Coledan and Martinez attack, but they are chased down by the pack. Attacks galore and a high pace in the opening, until the right break is off with Kolobnev, Zhupa and Bisolti aboard. The trio races to a maximum lead of 8 minutes.
At the top of the Bocca della Selva Alessandro Bisolti is the first to crest. In rainy conditions the descent is a cautious endeavour and the peloton comes as close as half a minute.
Zhupa and Bisolti are the remaining leaders and their gain goes back up, while Pim Ligthart, Tim Wellens and Laurent Didier bridge the gap. The five race to a maximum gain at over 9 minutes.
At the closing climb Didier attacks but Wellens counters and he soloes to victory.
In the last kilometres Nibali attacks from the group with GC favourites, yet Dumoulin bridges the gap and takes over. Zakarin and Pozzovivio join him. They hook up with Siutsou and Fuglsang, who left early on the climb, and they power to the line. Fuglsang and Zakarin take the remaining time bonuses and Dumoulin finishes in fourth, nevertheless he puts time into his opponents.
Giro 2016 stage 6: Route maps, height profiles, and more
Click on the images to zoom.