Results 7th stage Giro d’Italia
1. André Greipel (ger)
2. Giacomo Nizzolo (ita) s.t.
3. Sacha Modolo (ita) s.t.
4. Caleb Ewan (aus) s.t.
5. Enrico Battaglin (ita) s.t.
6. Matteo Trentin (ita) s.t.
7. Alexander Porsev (rus) s.t.
8. Alexey Tsatevitch (rus) s.t.
9. Nicola Ruffoni (ita) s.t.
10. Elia Viviani (ita) s.t.
48. Esteban Chaves (col) + 0.09
GC after 7th stage
1. Tom Dumoulin (nld)
2. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 0.26
3. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 0.28
4. Bob Jungels (lux) + 0.35
5. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 0.38
6. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 0.41
7. Diego Ulissi (ita) s.t.
8. Esteban Chaves (col) + 0.44
9. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 0.47
10. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 0.51
11. Esteban Chaves (col) + 0.53
12. Rafal Majka (pol) + 0.56
15. Mikel Landa (spa) + 1.08
Küng, Gretsch and McCarthy are the first to jump clear and they to race to a 2 minutes lead. At the first climb,Le Svolte di Popoli, Nippo-Vini Fantini starts chasing for their leader Cunego, who is in the KOM-lead and could use some extra points at the top.
Cunego tries to bridge over when the gap is down to half a minute. He doesn’t make it, yet the fact Tim Wellens comes flying past is even more disappointing to the former Giro-winner as the Belgian thus takes the KOM-lead.
On the climb itself the peloton was broken into several groups. Shortly after cresting a first peloton of around 50 riders – featuring all GC favourites – hooks up with the escapees. With 50 kms done Stefan Küng gives it another go and he is accompanied by Domont, Ciccone, Denifl, Koshevoy and Martinez. In no time the GC guys are 2 minutes down, while all the other riders – obviously, a lot of fast men – re-join the big group.
The escapees race to a maximum lead of almost 4 minutes.
In the drop of the Valico della Somma Küng leaves his companions alone and after an impressive solo he is brought back with 7 kms remaining. A little later Kittel punctures and he can forget about the stage win.
Perfect opportunity for Greipel to take his second win in the Giro and he does. Nizzolo finishes in second and Modolo in third.
Giro 2016 Stage 7: Route maps, height profiles, etc.
Click on the images to zoom.