Svein Tuft is the most notable escapee today. The Canadian was the first wearer of the maglia rosa in what now seems a lifetime ago in Belfast.
As expected, the race came down to a sprint with Luka Mezgec finally getting a win after being in the mix ever since teammate Kittel left the race.
Bouhanni was slow to react today and ended up 4th with Nizzolo and Farrar ahead of him. The Frenchman will be satisfied however as he finishes the race with the red points jersey.
No GC action was expected on the final stage as per usual and Quintana enjoyed a quiet procession into Trieste where his family were waiting to celebrate with him.
Results 21th stage Giro 2014
1. Luka Mezgec (slo)
2. Giacomo Nizzolo (ita) s.t.
3. Tyler Farrar (USA) s.t.
4. Nacer Bouhanni (fra) s.t.
5. Roberto Ferrari (ita) s.t.
6. Leonardo Duque (col) s.t.
7. Luca Paolini (ita) s.t.
8. Tosh van der Sande (bel) s.t.
9. Borut Bozic (slo) s.t.
10. Iljo Keijsse (bel) s.t.
GC after stage 21st and final stage
1. Nairo Quintana (col)
2. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 3.07
3. Fabio Aru (ita) + 4.04
4. Pierre Rolland (fra) + 5.46
5. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 6.41
6. Rafal Majka (pol) + 7.13
7. Wilco Kelderman (Nld) + 11.09
8. Cadel Evans (aus) +12.00
9. Ryder Hesjedal (can) + 13.35
10. Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) + 15.49
Giro 2014 stage 21: Images and more
Click on the images to zoom.