Results 20th stage Tour de France
1. Thibaut Pinot (fra)
2. Nairo Quintana (col) + 0.18
3. Ryder Hesjedal (can) + 0.41
4. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 1.38
5. Chris Froome (gbr) s.t.
6. Pierre Rolland (fra) + 1.41
7. Richie Porte (aus) + 2.11
8. Winner Anacon (col) + 2.32
9. Wout Poels (nld) + 2.50
10. Ruben Plaza (spa) + 2.50
14. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 3.30
15. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) s.t.
16. Alberto Contador (spa) s.t.
18. Romain Bardet (fra) s.t.
20. Robert Gesink (nld) s.t.
23. Mathias Frank (swi) + 4.38
GC after stage 20
1. Chris Froome (gbr)
2. Nairo Quintana (col) + 1.12
3. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 5.25
4. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 8.36
5. Alberto Contador (spa) + 9.48
6. Robert Gesink (nld) + 10.47
7. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 15.14
8. Mathias Frank (swi) + 15.39
9. Romain Bardet (fra) + 16.00
10. Pierre Rolland (fra) + 17.30
Alexandre Geniez, Lars Bak, Nicolas Edet and Ramunas Navardauskas are off and the race to an advantage of 8 minutes. With 8 km’s left to the top Geniez goes solo and he crests 2’30” earlier than Valverde/Quintana. The duo attacked just under the top, but they can’t break free and in the descent all GC men come together. Hesjedal, Plaza, Pinot, Anacona, Rolland and Serpa go clear to head for the front of the race.
Geniez reaches the lower flanks of the closing climb with 2 minutes gain over the chasers and 4 minutes over the GC men. It doesn’t take long for Quintana to go on the attack, but they are neutralised by Sky. Valverde is more lucky when he leaves with 19 km’s left. No one reacts. A moment later Quintana jumps to his team-mate. Higher on the mountain only Hesjedal and Pinot are chasing Geniez.
They catch him… and leave him. Then Pinot goes solo.
Quintana sticks to the wheel of Valverde en when they meet their team-mate Anacona the Spaniard is dropped. The two Colombians power on, but with 4.5 km’s left Quintana heads for the front of the race. It’s too late and he finishes 18 seconds down on Pinot. Still, his effort is brave and he ends the Tour de France 1’12” down on Froome. In hindsight, stage 2 to Neeltje Jans killed as he lost 1’28” to Froome.
Tour de France 2015 stage 20: Route maps, height profiles, en meer
Click on the images to zoom
Details Col de la Croix de Fer
Details climb Alpe d’Huez
Profile intermediate sprint Bourg d’Oisans