Results stage 5 Tour of the Basque Country
1. Diego Rosa (ita)
2. Sergio Henao (col) + 3.13
3. Alberto Contador (spa) s.t.
4. Joaquim Rodriguez (spa) + 3.15
5. Thibaut Pinot (fra) s.t.
6. Samuel Sánchez (spa) + 3.40
7. Nairo Quintana (col) + 3.41
8. Lawson Craddock (usa) + 3.56
9. Rui Costa (por) + 4.12
10. Serge Pauwels (bel) s.t.
GC after stage 5
1. Segio Henao (col)
2. Alberto Contador (spa) + 0.06
3. Thibaut Pinot (fra) + 0.10
4. Joaquim Rodriguez (spa) + 0.12
5. Samuel Sánchez (spa) + 0.31
6. Nairo Quintana (col) + 0.38
7. Lawson Craddock (usa) + 1.00
8. Wilco Kelderman (nld) + 1.07
9. Rui Costa (por) + 1.09
10. Sebastien Reichenbach (swi) + 1.11
A lot of escapes in the early stages of the race. KOM-leader Stefan Denifl is a prominent guest in alle breakaways and he is the first to crest the Itziar and second at the Kalbario and Karabieta, after Rosa, thus cementing his KOM-lead.
Diego Rosa. That’s the man of the day. When a big break away forms after something like 30 kilometres it takes him a few kilometres to decide to go solo. 125 kilometres later he brings an impressive solo home.
The GC-battle rages at the closing climb with Henao en Contador attacking on the lower slopes. Leader Kelderman can’t cope and the duo gobbles up Landa, who had made a prior move, to climb to second and third in the race and one and second in the overall. Contador is now 6 seconds down on the Colombian, while Thibaut Pinot is waiting in the shades in third at 10 seconds.
Wilco Kelderman tumbles into eight overall after finishing over 1 minute down on Henao/Contador.
Fabio Aru and Simon Yates left the race after crashes, while Dan Martin also abandoned.
Tour of the Basque Country 2016 stage 5
Click on the images to zoom
Start and finish at Google maps
Instagram #vueltaciclistaal paisvasco
Tour of the Basque Country Tweets