Results 14th stage Tour de France 2019
1. Thibaut Pinot (fra)
2. Julian Alaphilippe (fra) + 0.06
3. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) s.t.
4. Emanuel Buchmann (ger) + 0.08
5. Egan Bernal (col) s.t.
6. Mikel Landa (spa) + 0.14
7. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 0.30
8. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 0.36
9. Warren Barguil (fra) + 0.38
10. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 0.53
12. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 0.58
14. Richie Porte (aus) + 2.05
16. Enric Mas (spa) + 2.54
17. Nairo Quintana (col) + 3.24
18. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 3.29
24. Daniel Martin (irl) + 5.35
25. Adam Yates (gbr) + 6.42
66. Romain Bardet (fra) + 20.19
GC after stage 14
1. Julian Alaphilippe (fra)
2. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 2.02
3. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 2.14
4. Egan Bernal (col) + 3.00
5. Emanuel Buchmann (ger) + 3.12
6. Thibaut Pinot (fra) s.t.
7. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 4.24
8. Jakob Fuglsang (den) + 5.22
9. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 5.27
10. Enric Mas (spa) + 5.38
11. Mikel Landa (spa) + 6.14
12. Richie Porte (aus) + 6.49
14. Nairo Quintana (col) + 7.19
15. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 9.03
16. Daniel Martin (irl) + 9.50
18. Adam Yates (gbr) + 10.37
26. Romain Bardet (fra) + 26.05
Sagan and Nibali are the first attackers, while a group of 15 riders – with KOM leader Wellens, Zakarin, Mohoric, Gesbert, Calmejane and LL Sánchez – bridge across. The seventeen tackle the Soulor 3 minutes ahead of the peloton.
Bardet and Adam Yates can’t follow the pace in the peloton, while Wellens accelerates with 3 kilometres to climb. Nibali and Gesbert go with him before the Flemish rider cements his KOM lead at the top.
Yates rejoins the peloton in the descent to Argelès-Gazost and Sicard goes solo when he reaches the lead group in the valley. He tackles the Tourmalet 1.30 minutes ahead of the peloton before Gesbert gobbles his compatriot up with 16 kilometres to go.
In the first kilometres Yates is dropped from the GC group, while Dan Martin is struggling also. The Irishman loses contact 13 kilometres from the finish.
While Gesbert is caught 10 kilometres before the finish, Quintana loses a few metres. Barguil goes the other way as he strikes. Pinot and Gaudu launch a duo-attack, but Ineos brings them back. Meanwhile, Quintana is losing more ground.
The GG group overhauls Barguil inside the last 6 kilometres, while Porte and Mas crack. Valverde drops back when Gaudu speeds up. A moment later the young Frenchman implodes.
Fuglsang and Uran drop back with 2 kilometres remaining, while Thomas can’t follow the pace just before the flamme rouge.
In the last 200 metres Pinot accelerates. Alaphilippe and Kruijswijk try to bridge across but without success. After winning in Alpe d’Huez in 2015, Pinot adds another iconic stage win to his tally at the Tourmalet. Alaphilippe and Kruijswijk finish 6 seconds behind him, while Thomas crosses the line another 30 seconds further back.
Obviously, Alaphilippe keeps the maillot jaune. He leads the Tour de France 2.02 minutes ahead of Thomas with Kruijswijk at 2.14 minutes.
Another interesting read: route 14th stage 2019 Tour de France.
Tour de France 2019 stage 14: route, profiles, more
Click on the images to zoom