Results 20th stage Tour de France
1. Ion Izagirre (spa)
2. Jarlinson Pantano (col) + 0.19
3. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 0.42
4. Julian Alaphilippe (fra) + 0.49
5. Rui Costa (por) + 1.43
6. Roman Kreuziger (cze) + 1.44
7. Wilco Kelderman (nld) + 2.30
8. Joaquim Rodriguez (spa) + 3.20
9. Daniel Martin (irl) + 4.12
10. Romain Bardet (fra) s.t.
11. Nairo Quintana (col) s.t.
12. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 4.14
13. Adam Yates (gbr) s.t.
14. Louis Meintjes (rsa) s.t.
20. Chris Froome (gbr) s.t.
22. Richie Porte (aus) s.t.
36. Bauke Mollema (Nld) + 9.49
56. Fabio Aru (ita) + 17.38
GC after stage 20
1. Chris Froome (gbr)
2. Romain Bardet (fra) + 4.05
3. Nairo Quintana (col) + 4.21
4. Adam Yates (gbr) + 4.42
5. Richie Porte (aus) + 5.17
6. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 6.16
7. Joaquim Rodriguez (spa) + 6.58
8. Louis Meintjes (rsa) s.t.
9. Daniel Martin (irl) + 7.04
10. Roman Kreuziger (cze) + 7.11
11. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 13.13
12. Sergio Henao (col) + 18.51
13. Fabio Aru (ita) + 19.20
Chavanel is one of the most active riders at the start. He is accompanied by Kelderman, Benedetti, Vakoc and Edet, while more riders cross over until we have a small peloton up front when hitting the Col des Aravis. De Gendt, Nibali, Zakarin, Sagan, Costa, Pantano and Kreuziger are the most prominent escapees.
At the slopes De Gendt goes solo and at the top he is half a minute ahead of the group Nibali. The peloton is 2 minutes down on him.
In the drop Sagan leads the chasers back to De Gendt.
At the foot of the Col de la Colombière the escapees enjoy a lead at almost 3 minutes. While climbing the gap widens to 5 minutes and, once again, De Gendt is the first rider at the top. Barguil hooks up after a long chase.
In the descent Pantano goes solo, while Sagan pushes so hard he takes Kreuziger, Nibali, Costa, Alaphilippe, Izagirre and Gougeard with him to re-join the leader.
Halfway up the Col de la Ramaz Sagan gives up. No wonder, he has been setting the pace for most of the day in favour of his team mate Kreuziger, the best placed rider in the front group. A little later De Gendt, Zakarin, Henao, Rolland, Kelderman and Jeandesboz re-join the front group.
De Gendt goes solo and he is the first to plunge down, yet Pantano and Alaphilippe take control in the descent. When hitting the Joux Plane, they are 1’40” ahead of the chasing group. The peloton is 6 minutes down on the two leaders. Aru gets dropped, while Rodriguez attacks.
Nibali accelerates to re-join the two leaders. Moments later he leaves them behind. Izagirre hooks up with Pantano and they forge on together to chase Nibali down. As a trio they crest the last pass in the 2016 Tour de France 3 minutes ahead of the pack.
In the descent Ion Izagirre leaves his companions behind to solo to victory. Pantano finishes in second, Nibali in third.
Froome stays away from danger in the rain soaked descent and he wins the 2016 Tour de France.
Rodriguez and Kreuziger enter the top-10, while Mollema and Aru drop out.
Tour de France 2016 stage 20: Route maps, height profiles, etc.
Click on the images to zoom.