Results 17th stage Tour de France
1. Simon Geschke (ger)
2. Andrew Talansky (usa) + 0.32
3. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 1.01
4. Thibaut Pinot (fra) + 1.36
5. Mathias Fränk (swi) + 1.40
6. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 2.27
7. Nicolas Roche (irl) + 3.02
8. Jonathan Castroviejo (spa) + 3.04
9. Serge Pauwels (bel) + 3.05
10. Adam Yates (gbr) + 3.21
18. Nairo Quintana (col) + 7.16
20. Chris Froome (gbr) s.t.
21. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 7.23
22. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 7.31
24. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 8.18
25. Robert Gesink (nld) + 8.32
30. Warren Barguil (fra) + 9.21
31. Alberto Contador (spa) + 9.33
35. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 10.10
GC after stage 17
1. Chris Froome (gbr)
2. Nairo Quintana (col) + 3.10
3. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 4.09
4. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 6.34
5. Alberto Contador (spa) + 6.40
6. Robert Gesink (nld) + 7.39
7. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 8.04
8. Mathias Frank (swi) + 8.47
9. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 11.47
10. Warren Barguil (fra) + 13.08
Once the flag is dropped attacks are all over the place and the pack is reacting to all of them. Sagan is on the move once again, but he is reeled in several times. After a Quintana attack at the Col des Lèques the bunch accelerates and breaks in two. Van Garderen can’t follow the pace and is dropped.
Serge Pauwels and Jan Bakelants attack with 57 km’s done and they are accompanied by Rafael Valls and Peter Sagan. Another 24 riders join them – among them Kruijswijk, Pinot, Frank, Uran, Kangert, Yates (Adam), Talansky, Hesjedal, Majka – and race to a 3 to 4 minutes gain over the group with GC contenders. After a long chase Van Garderen rejoins Froome et al. But when Contador attacks at the Col de la Colle Saint-Michel, Sky accelerates to bridge the gap and the group with GC contenders is depleted. Van Garderen is dropped again and a moment later he calls it quits.
In the flat sesction leading to the Col d’Allos, Simon Geschke attacks with 50 km’s left and he races to a 2 minutes gain over his former companions. At the climb itself Kruijswijk, Yates, Pinot, Frank and Talansky are chasing, with Pinot leaving the other four behind.
When cresting Geschke enjoys a 1 minute gain over Pinot, but in the descent the Frenchman hits the tarmac and a moment later Talansky, Uran, Kruijswijk, Uran, Yates and Frank race past him. Talansky pushes hard and he hits the lower flanks of the closing climb with a 1 minute deficit.
Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Contador and Nibali crest 10 minutes down on the sole leader, with Gesink and Thomas close behind. While Nibali is leading the drop, Contador crashes and the Spaniard will finish 2 minutes down on his rivals.
Talansky halves Geschke’s lead at the closing climb and the German wins after an impressive 50 km’s solo.
In the last kilometre Froome and Quintana put some time into Valverde and Nibali and the Colombian outsprints the overall leader on the line.
Tour de France 2015 stage 17: Route maps, height profiles, and more
Click on the images to zoom.