Results 16th stage Tour de France
1. Rubén Plaza (spa)
2. Peter Sagan (svk) + 0.30
3. Jarlinson Pantano (col) + 0.36
4. Simon Geschke (ger) + 0.40
5. Bob Jungels (lux) s.t.
6. Christophe Riblon (fra) s.t.
7. Daniel Teklehaimanot (eri) + 0.53
8. Thomas De Gendt (bel) + 1.00
9. Luis Angel Mate (spa) + 1.22
10. Thomas Voeckler (fra) s.t.
24. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 17.44
25. Alberto Contador (spa) + 18.12
26. Bauke Mollema (nld) s.t.
28. Chris Froome (gbr) s.t.
29. Alejandro Valverde (spa) s.t.
30. Tejay van Garderen (usa) s.t.
31. Robert Gesink (nld) s.t.
32. Nairo Quintana (col) s.t.
33. Warren Barguil (fra) s.t.
34. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 18.50
GC after stage 16
1. Chris Froome (gbr)
2. Nairo Quintana (col) + 3.10
3. Tejay van Garderen (usa) + 3.32
4. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 4.02
5. Alberto Contador (spa) + 4.23
6. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 5.32
7. Robert Gesink (nld) + 6.23
8. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 7.49
9. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 8.53
10. Warren Barguil (fra) + 11.03
Just like yesterday Peter Sagan is up for it. He escapes in a group of 29 riders and when the pace is not hgh enough he accelerates and is accompanied by Pauwels, De Gendt, Grivko, Riblon, Geschke, Haller, Jungels, Oliveira, Plaza, Navarro and Fédrigo. With 86.5 km’s done he puts the intermediate sprint to good use: he is fastest and thus his green jersey is getting greener and greener.
Eleven dropped riders in the front group – Erviti, Hansen, Golas, Trentin, Voeckler, Irizar, Mate, Pantano, Perichon, Boasson-Hagen and Teklehaimanot – are chasing for tens of kilometres and with 105 km’s done they bridge the gap. The peloton is 15 minutes down.
Adam Hansen goes solo with 45 km’s left, while Haller joins him after a 9 km’s chase. At the lower slopes of the Col de Manse they are brought back and Plaza is the next solist. Sagan, Geschke, Riblon and Teklehaimanot are chasing with a part of their former friends in the front group hooking up. When cresting Plaza enjoys a 1 minute lead, while Sagan pushes hard in the closing climb and he leaves his companions behind.
In the pack Tinkoff-Saxo sets the pace on the closing climb.
more to follow
Tour de France 2015 stage 16: Route maps, height profile, and more
Click on the images to zoom.
Profile intermediate sprint
Final kilometres 16th stage
Start and finish at Google Maps