Results 18th stage 2015 Giro
1. Philippe Gilbert (bel)
2. Francesco Bongiorno (ita) + 0.47
3. Sylvain Chavanel (fra) + 1.01
4. Matto Busato (ita) s.t.
5. Amael Moinard (fra) s.t.
6. David de La Cruz (spa) s.t.
7. Rinaldo Nocentini (ita) s.t.
8. Kanstantin Siutsou (blr) s.t.
9. Chad Haga (usa) + 2.42
10. Pieter Weening (nld) + 3.55
11. Alberto Contador (spa) + 6.05
12. Ryder Hesjedal (can) + 6.05
15. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 7.18
21. Jurgen Van den Broeck (bel) s.t.
23. Mikel Landa (spa) s.t.
24. Fabio Aru (ita) s.t.
GC after stage 18
1. Alberto Contador (spa)
2. Mikel Landa (spa) + 5.15
3. Fabio Aru (ita) + 6.05
4. Andrey Amador (crc) + 7.01
5. Yuri Trofimov (rus) + 9.40
6. Leopold König (cze) + 10.44
7. Damiano Caruso (ita) + 11.05
8. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 12.53
9. Ryder Hesjedal (can) + 13.01
10. Alexandre Geniez (fra) + 14.01
With 44 km’s done a group of 14 riders jump off the front of the bunch – Weening, Gilbert, Siutsou, Chavanel, Cunego, Nocentini, Bongiorno, Moinard, De La Cruz, Ferrari, Busato, Villella, Haga and Belkov. Cunego and Ferrari crash and while the first is forced to abandon the latter is reeled in by the pack. The front group races to a maximum gain of 13 minutes.
While climbing Monte Ologno Moinard, Bongiorno, Siutsou and De la Cruz are left upfront. Gilbert, Nocentini and Chavanel are chasing and crest 1 minutes down on the four leaders. Busato joins them and with 20 km’s left they are in the front of the race again. Without delay Gilbert jumps and he is flying!
Like a rocket the Wallonian drops an he solos to a great win. Bongiorno is second and Chanvanel third.
Contador attacks on the lower slopes of Monte Ologno and he powers uphill. At the top he is accompanied by Hesjedal and a group with Landa, Aru and Amador is 1 minute down on the duo.
Hesjedal and Contador are joined by Villella, a team-mate of the Canadian. The three of them retain the headstart over the chasers, meaning El Pistollero once again increases his overall lead.
This is today’s route. Click height profile below for details on the Monte Ologno.
Giro 2015 stage 18: Route maps, height profiles and more
Click on the images to zoom.