Results 14th stage 2017 Giro d’Italia
1. Tom Dumoulin (nld)
2. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 0.03
3. Mikel Landa (spa) + 0.09
4. Nairo Quintana (col) + 0.14
5. Thibaut Pinot (fra) + 0.35
6. Adam Yates (gbr) + 0.41
7. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 0.43
8. Franco Pellizotti (ita) s.t.
9. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 0.46
10. Tanel Kangert (est) s.t.
11. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 0.50
16. Rui Costa (por) + 1.19
19. Bob Jungels (lux) + 1.22
22. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 1.44
29. Andrey Amador (crc) + 2.21
GC after 14th stage
1. Tom Dumoulin (nld)
2. Nairo Quintana (col) + 2.47
3. Thibaut Pinot (fra) + 3.25
4. Vincenzo Nibali (ita) + 3.40
5. Ilnur Zakarin (rus) + 4.24
6. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 4.32
7. Tanel Kangert (est) + 4.56
8. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 4.59
9. Bob Jungels (lux) + 5.28
10. Andrey Amador (crc) + 5.36
11. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 7.03
12. Dario Cataldo (ita) + 7.13
13. Adam Yates (gbr) + 7.43
14. Davide Formolo (ita) + 7.55
15. Rui Costa (por) + 7.58
Lots of action after the start, but it’s 30 kms into the race before Berhane, Martinez and Lagutin get clear. The trio races to a lead of 2 minutes and then the peloton takes control. Shortly before the last and only climb the escapees are reeled in.
Diego Rosa heads out on his own with 9 kms remaining, but after a 3 kms stint he is brought back. Igor Antón is next, also to no avail. And while Anacona is setting the pace Mollema and Jungels are dropped form the back of the main group.
Pozzovivo attacks and Quintana re-joins him along with Zakarin before the Colombian goes solo. Dumoulin goes after him with Zakarin, Landa, Nibali, Yates on his wheel. So no Pinot. With his high pace, the maglia rosa also shrugs off Nibali and Yates before he closes the gap to Quintana. Dumoulin powers on and he is leading in the last kilometre. Quintana is struggling and slowly dropping back when Zakarin launches an attack just before the final straight to the Oropa Sanctuary. The maglia rosa digs deep and passes the Russian on the cobbles to the line to win the race and cement his overall lead.
Read about the route of the 14th stage of the 2017 Giro d’Italia.
Giro 2017 stage 14: Route maps, height profiles, and more
Click on the images to zoom
Climb details Oropa in 3D
Start and finish at Google maps
Streetview Sanctuary di Oropa
Biella – Oropa op Strava.com
Giro d’Italia Tweets