Results 2nd stage 2018 Dubai Tour
1. Elia Viviani (ita)
2. Dylan Groenewegen (nld) s.t.
3. Riccardo Minali (ita) s.t.
4. Mark Cavendish (gbr) s.t.
5. John Degenkolb (ger) s.t.
6. Magnus Cort Nielsen (den) s.t.
7. Alexander Kristoff (nor) s.t.
8. Jean-Pierre Drücker (lux) s.t.
9. Sonny Colbrelli (ita) s.t.
10. Adam Blythe (gbr) s.t.
GC after the 2nd stage
1. Dylan Groenewegen (nld)
2. Elia Viviani (ita) + 0.02
3. Nathan van Hooydonck (bel) + 0.07
4. Magnus Cort Nielsen (den) + 0.10
5. Riccardo Minali (ita) + 0.12
6. Alexander Kristoff (nor) + 0.16
7. Nacer Bouhanni (fra) s.t.
8. Sonny Colbrelli (ita) s.t.
9. John Degenkolb (ger) s.t.
10. Jacob Hennessy (gbr) s.t.
Attacks fly as soon as the flag drops. The 21-year old Belgian Nathan Van Hooydonck forces a gap with Nicolas Edet, Xue Fuwen and Mohammed Yousif Al Mansoori, while Charles Planet en Mohamed Yousef Mirza. The six race to a maximum lead of more than 7 minutes before the peloton takes them on a leash.
Al Mansoori, Van Hooydonck and Planet were in yesterday’s break, too. Van Hooydonck stops his efforts with 50 kms to go, and a little later Mirza and Al Mansoori are dropped. Xue is reeled in with 13 kilometres out and Planet and Edet are gobbled up with 9 kilometres left to race.
In the ensuing sprint non of the lead-out trains is able to deliver their sprinter perfectly to the line. Elia Viviani is fastest, although race leader Dylan Groenewegen – who was boxed in for a moment – comes up quickly in the dying metres to take second place. Young Italian Riccardo Minali finishes in third, Cav in fourth.
For the second day in a row title defender Marcel Kittel fails to be in the mix.
Read also: route 2nd stage 2018 Dubai Tour.
Dubai Tour 2018 stage 2: Route maps, height profiles, and more
Click on the images to zoom.
Dubai and Ras al Khaimah at Google Maps
Videos Dubai Tour
Dubai Tour Tweets