Results 2nd stage Tour of Qatar
1. Alexander Kristoff (nor)
2. Mark Cavendish (gbr) s.t.
3. Roy Jans (bel) s.t.
4. Greg Van Avermaet (bel) s.t.
5. Edvald Boasson Hagen (nor) s.t.
6. Andrea Palini (ita) s.t.
7. Sacha Modolo (ita) s.t.
8. André Looij (nld) s.t.
9. Tomasz Kiendys (pol) s.t.
10. Viacheslav Kuznetsov (rus) s.t.
GC after stage 2
1. Mark Cavendish (gbr)
2. Alexander Kristoff (nor) + 0.05
3. Sacha Modolo (ita) + 0.14
4. Edvald Boasson Hagen (nor) + 0.18
5. Viacheslav Koeznetsov (rus) s.t.
6. Greg Van Avermaet (bel) + 0.20
7. Arnaud Gerard (fra) + 0.21
8. Sven Erik Bystrøm (nor) s.t.
9. Manuel Quinziato (ita) s.t.
10. Michael Schar (swi) s.t.
The first break away boys are Westra, Van Hecke, Van Goethem and Bagdonas. Thanks to an awesome job by Westra they race to a 2 minutes advantage, but approaching the first intermediate sprint they are brought back. Katusha is setting the pace and the pack breaks. Kristoff, Guardini, Boasson Hagen and Van Avermaet are in the first group. No Cav, no Modolo.
Results intermediate sprint: 1/ Kristoff, 2/ Boasson Hagen, 3/ Kuznetsov.
While entering the local circuit in Doha the group Cavendish is 0’50” down. But the city streets seem to be welcoming to the overall leader and soon he joins the front group. A moment later Van Hecke and Smukulis jump off the fron of the peloton. The two escapees are 1 and 2 in the second intermediate sprint, while Boasson Hagen takes the other bonus second.
In the third round (of four) Van Hecke and Smukulis still enjoy a 1 minute gain, but Katusha brings them back in time. The decimated pack heads for a bunch sprint on a long straight with strong headwind.
After a late crash scatters the peloton, the matadores Cav and Kristoff put on a show. Leaving the competitio at least a bike length behind they sprint shoulder-to-shoulder with only an eagle able to see who eventually wins… Kristoff! But Cavendish can take comfort in the fact he will be wearing the leaders jersey tomorrow.
Tour of Qatar 2016 stage 2: Route maps, and more
Click on the images to zoom