Results 1st stage 2022 Tour de Romandie
1. Dylan Teuns (bel)
2. Rohan Dennis (aus) s.t.
3. Marc Hirschi (swi) + 0.02
4. Aleksandr Vlasov (rus) s.t.
5. Quinten Hermans (bel) s.t.
6. Ben O’Connor (aus) + 0.04
7. Damiano Caruso (ita) s.t.
8. Juan Ayuso (spa) s.t.
9. Steff Crass (bel) s.t.
10. Mauro Schmid (swi) s.t.
GC after stage 1
1. Rohan Dennis (aus)
2. Felix Großschartner (aut) + 0.16
3. Dylan Teuns (bel) + 0.18
4. Mauro Schmid (swi) + 0.20
5. Juan Ayuso (spa) s.t.
6. Mikkel Honoré (den) s.t.
7. Patrick Bevin (aus) + 0.22
8. Aleksandr Vlasov (rus) + 0.23
9. Brandon McNulty (usa) s.t.
10. Marc Hirschi (swi) + 0.24
24. Geraint Thomas (gbr) + 0.36 (after 20 seconds penalty)
From the gun a group of five riders jump clear. Julius Johansen, Tim Naberman, Antoine Debons, Thomas Champion and Valère Thiébaud put more than 3 minutes into the peloton.
The gap has fallen below 1 minute when Champion and Thiébaud head out together with 38 kilometres remaining. The two are brought back 10 kilometres later.
A huge crash inside the last 14 kilometres takes down several riders. Among them overnight leader Ethan Hayter.
Rémi Cavagna strikes with 5.6 kilometres to go. The Frenchman is caught before the finish climb.
Juan Ayuso attacks as soon as the road goes up. Rohan Dennis follows the move and pushes on alone. He forces a gap of tens of metres and seems to be heading for the win. But no. Dylan Teuns comes clawing back on the home straight and overhauls the Australian in the last 5 metres.
Dennis finishes in second and can take comfort in the fact that he is the new leader on GC.
Another interesting read: route 1st stage 2022 Tour de Romandie.
Tour de Romandie 2022 stage 1: route, profile, more
Click on the images to zoom