Results 17th stage Tour de France
1. Ilnur Zakarin (rus)
2. Jarlinson Pantano (col) + 0.55
3. Rafal Majka (pol) + 1.26
4. Kristijan Durasek (cro) + 1.32
5. Brice Feillu (fra) + 2.33
6. Thomas Voeckler (fra) + 2.46
7. Domenico Pozzovivo (ita) + 2.50
8. Stef Clement (nld) + 2.57
9. Steve Morabito (swi) + 4.38
10. Richie Porte (aus) + 7.59
11. Chris Froome (gbr) s.t.
12. Adam Yates (gbr) + 8.07
13. Romain Bardet (fra) + 8.10
14. Fabio Aru (ita) + 8.18
15. Louis Meintjes (rsa) s.t.
16. Nairo Quintana (col) + 8.27
17. Wout Poels (nld) + 8.39
18. Bauke Mollema (nld) s.t.
19. Daniel Martin (irl) + 8.46
22. Joaquim Rodriguez (spa) + 9.11
23. Romain Kreuziger (cze) + 9.38
25. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 10.01
64. Tejay van Garderen (usa) + 26.15
GC after 17th stage
1. Chris Froome (gbr)
2. Bauke Mollema (nld) + 2.27
3. Adam Yates (gbr) + 2.53
4. Nairo Quintana (col) + 3.27
5. Romain Bardet (fra) + 4.15
6. Richie Porte (aus) + 4.27
7. Alejandro Valverde (spa) + 5.19
8. Fabio Aru (ita) + 5.35
9. Daniel Martin (irl) + 5.50
10. Louis Meintjes (rsa) + 6.07
11. Roman Kreuziger (cze) + 7.03
12. Joaquim Rodriguez (spa) + 7.06
13. Sebastien Reichenbach (swi) + 10.19
14. Sergio Henao (col) + 14.40
The pace in inhumanly high in the first hour of racing (51 kph) and despite a multitude of attacks the pack is still bunched when hitting the Côte de Saanenmöser. Then Kangert, Clement, Durasek and Gallopin go clear. They are accompanied by Sagan, Pantano, Majka, Pozzovivo, Morabito, Zakarin and Feillu, while a group with Van Avermaet, Pauwels, Costa, Plaza, Lutsenko, Losada, Voeckler and Alaphilippe try to make it across.
Majka takes most KOM-points at the top and at Col des Mosses, too. In the descent Van Avermaet, Voeckler and Lutsenko join the front, while Pauwels, Alaphilippe and Losada are the last remaining chasers. Yet, they never make it to the front group.
En route to the Forclaz Peter Sagan takes the intermediate sprint, securing himself of the green jersey in Paris.
While climbing the Col de Forclaz Gallopin and Lutsenko try their luck, but without success. Later on Gallopin gets dropped, along with Van Avermaet. In the peloton Tejay van Garderen and Geraint Thomas can’t follow the pace.
In the drop of the Forclaz Majka and Pantano forge on together. They hit the closing climb with a 20 seconds advantage. Ilnur Zakarin opens the chase to join them in no time. He accelerates with 6.5 kilometres left. At first Pantano is able hook up, but when the Russian speeds up again the Colombian has to let go.
Valverde and Dan Martin attack in the pack, yet they are reeled in by the Sky-train. A little later they both oay for their efforts.
With 2 kms left Porte attacks. Poels jumps to close the gap, while Froome himself closes the gap. Mollema is dropped from the back due to the change of pace, while Quintana can’t hold Froome’s wheel.
Zakarin powers on to an impressive victory, Porte is slowly making his way to the podium, nobody is able to threaten Froome – that’s basically the story of the 17th stage in the 2016 Tour de France
Tour de France 2016 stage 17: Route maps, height profiles, etc.
Click on the images to zoom.