Results 17th stage Giro d’Italia 2021
1. Daniel Martin (irl)
2. João Almeida (por) + 0.13
3. Simon Yates (gbr) + 0.30
4. Diego Ulissi (ita) + 1.20
5. Damiano Caruso (ita) s.t.
6. Daniel Felipe Martínez (col) + 1.23
7. Egan Bernal (col) s.t.
8. Antonio Pedrero (spa) + 1.38
9. Pello Bilbao (spa) + 1.43
10. George Bennett (nzl) + 2.21
11. Tobias Foss (nor) s.t.
14. Romain Bardet (fra) + 2.52
17. Aleksandr Vlasov (rus) + 3.08
21. Hugh Carthy (gbr) + 3.52
28. Giulio Ciccone (ita) + 4.58
GC after stage 17
1. Egan Bernal (col)
2. Damiano Caruso (ita) + 2.21
3. Simon Yates (gbr) + 3.23
4. Aleksandr Vlasov (rus) + 6.03
5. Hugh Carthy (gbr) + 6.09
6. Romain Bardet (fra) + 6.31
7. Daniel Felipe Martínez (col) + 7.17
8. João Almeida (por) + 8.45
9. Tobias Foss (nor) + 9.18
10. Giulio Ciccone (ita) + 11.06
After almost 40 kilometer of hard racing KOM leader Geoffrey Bouchard, Dries De Bondt and Pieter Serry jump off the front. Alessandro Covi, Valerio Conti, Quinten Hermans, Andrea Pasqualon and Matteo Jorgenson track down the leaders before Daniel Martin, Gianni Moscon, Felix Großschartner, Simone Ravanelli, Luis León Sánchez, Giovanni Carboni, James Knox, Matteo Badilatti, Jan Hirt, Antonio Pedrero and Jacopo Mosca bridge across. The nineteen put more than 5 minutes into the peloton.
Martin accelerates halfway up the Passo di San Valentino with Moscon and Pedrero in his wheel, while Bouchard rejoins them before the summit to cement his KOM lead.
Carboni and Badilatti rejoin the leaders in the valley before they tackle the finish climb 1.30 minutes ahead of the peloton. Almost straight away Martin heads out alone.
Ciccone and Vlasov are distanced on the early slopes, while Carthy and Bardet lose contact in the GC group halfway up the climb.
Almeida goes after Martin inside the last 4 kilometres. Moments later Yates accelerates with Bernal and Martínez in his wheel. They rejoin the Portuguese.
Yates pushes again and drops Bernal. Another acceleration and he is alone.
Almeida comes clawing black and under the flamme rouge he drops Yates. But it’s too late to catch Martin. The Irishman wins at Sega di Ala from the breakaway.
Bernal crosses the line almost 1 minutes after Yates and 3 seconds behind Caruso. Those are the only GC contenders who gain time on him, so in a way it’s a good day for the Colombian.
Another interesting read: route 17th stage 2021 Giro.
Giro d’Italia 2021 stage 17: routes, profiles, more
Click on the images to zoom