Results 9th stage 2015 Giro
1. Paolo Tiralongo (ita)
2. Steven Kruijswijk (nld) + 0.21
3. Simon Geschke (ger) + 0.23
4. Amaël Moinard (fra) s.t.
5. José Herrada (spa) s.t.
6. Carlos Betancur (col) s.t.
7. Tom-Jelte Slagter (nld) s.t.
8. Kenny Elissonde (fra) s.t.
9. Ryder Hesjedal (can) + 0.27
10. Fabio Aru (ita) + 0.56
11. Alberto Contador (spa) + 0.57
12. Richie Porte (aus) s.t.
GC after stage 9
1. Alberto Contador (spa)
2. Fabio Aru (ita) + 0.03
3. Richie Porte (ita) + 0.22
4. Mikel Landa (spa) + 0.46
5. Dario Cataldo (ita) + 1.16
6. Roman Kreuziger (cze) + 1.46
7. Giovanni Visconti (ita) + 2.02
8. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 2.10
9. Damiano Caruso (ita) + 2.20
10. Andrey Amador (crc) + 2.24
The pace is high and in the openings kilometres jumps are all over the place. Eventually Kruijswijk, Betancur, Slagter, Colbrelli, Moinard, Hesjedal, Herrada, Geschke, Belkov, Tiralongo and Elissonde manage to break away. The eleven race to a 6 minutes gain, reached at the top of Monte Terminio. Geschke is first to crest, Betancur is second, Tiralongo third.
At the Molella Belkov and Colbrelli are dropped. Geschke takes most KOM-points again, thus becming the new leader KOM leader, and in the descent Belkov rejoins the front group. Tom-Jelte Slagter jumps of the front group and goes solo. Reaching the foot of the closing climb Passo Serra he enjoys a 2 minutes lead over his chasers and the pack is 5 minutes down.
Tiralongo tries to bridge the gap to Slagter, while Aru attacks on the lower slopes. Contador, Porte and Landa are on his wheel, but Uran is dropped.
At the top Slagter’s gain is down to 0’07”, the other escapees are at 0’24” down and Contador et al at 1’20”. Tiralango joins Slagter and with 4 km’s left he leaves his companion on a small climb. When Slagter is caught Kruijswijk heads for the front of the race, but he is too late and Tiralongo solos to victory.
Giro 2015 stage 9: Route maps, height profile, and more
Click on the images to zoom.