Results 5th stage 2015 Giro
1. Jan Polanc (slo)
2. Sylvain Chavanel (fra) + 1.31
3. Fabio Aru (ita) s.t.
4. Alberto Contador (spa) s.t.
5. Richie Porte (aus) s.t.
6. Mikel Landa (spa) + 1.44
7. Daria Cataldo (ita) + 1.53
8. Yuri Trofimov (spa) + s.t.
9. Damiano Caruso (ita) s.t.
10. Darwin Atapuma (col) s.t.
17. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 1.59
GC after stage 5
1. Alberto Contador (spa)
2. Fabio Aru (ita) + 0.02
3. Richie Porte (aus) + 0.20
4. Roman Kreuziger (cze) + 0.22
5. Dario Cataldo (ita) + 0.28
6. Esteban Chaves (col) + 0.37
7. Giovanni Visconti (ita) + 0.56
8. Mikel Landa (spa) + 1.01
9. Davide Formolo (ita) + 1.15
10. Andrey Amador (crc) + 1.18
12. Rigoberto Uran (col) + 1.22
Once the flag is dropped attacks are all over the place, but it is only with around 15 km’s done Chavanel, Dillier, Domont, Polanc and Tvetcov manage to force a gap. They race to a maximum gain of 11 minutes. En route Domont is the first to crest the Foce Carpinelli, a 3rd category climb.
When hitting the lower slopes of the closing climb the front group still enjoys a 6 minutes gain. After an attack by Chavanel Tvetcov is dropped. Dillier is next to make a jump and now it’s Domont who cracks. Once Chavanel and Polanc hook up with Dillier, Polanc escapes. He solos to a comfortable gain.
In the pack Simon Clarke is dropped with 6 km’s left and Contador attacks a little later. He is accompanied by Fabio Aru, Richie Porte and Mikel Landa.
Polanc takes the win in Abetone, besting Chavanel by 1’31”. The French rider is almost caught by the super-trio Aru, Contador and Porte sprinting for the bonus seconds.
Giro 2015 stage 5: Route maps, height profile, and more
Click on the images to zoom